Yes, I did come home from my Mommy Mental Break trip to Las Vegas. Yes, no kids, no husband, no dogs. I was surrounded by the "boys" from work though so it was still kind of like being around the kids, except I didn't have to buy anything from Nintendo and nobody monku-ed about how ghetto it was to stay at the California Hotel instead of on the Strip like normal people.
It was a great trip even with the LOOOOOOONG treks to my hotel room at the Cal and the Rio. Maybe it's just chubby paranoia but I had the room at the end of the hall at both places. Now, aside from the fat rash I got from my chunky daikon thighs rubbing together as I stuggled down the hall lugging my three suitcases (one full of persimmons, one full of Zoo York t-shirts, and one full of stuff for the dogs) and the lack of hot water at the Rio, I loved every minute of it. Well, I guess I should be accurate, I DID have hot water once I ran the two sinks and the shower full blast for 20 minutes. Not very green but at 5:30 am, who gives a poop about killing the earth.
The No More Homeless Pets Conference was life-changing. I was totally burned out on anything having to do with rescuing dogs before I left. Stepped down from writing articles, fostering or anything. I really felt like I could not spend one more minute helping anyone with four paws who was not already part of my family. The whole "one person cannot make a difference" cliche. However, after attending the Conference, I realize that even the smallest effort can result in a major change and even saving the life of one animal is worth the sacrifice. Maybe I was hormonal but all I did was cry at every workshop. The good thing was that everyone else in the sea of womenhood (my guess is that it was about 90% female, mostly middle aged white ladies) was also bawling whenever the power point featured a dog, cat or something furry.
Even the vegan food was good or maybe the 5 mile trek to the Conference Rooms made me so hungry, I would eat something healthy.
I am going to focus on working on the new Best Friends Campaign called "Pit Bulls, Saving America's Dogs". There was a fantastic presentation by Safe Humane Chicago on their youth ambassador, pit bull training and DAWG project (an advocacy group that monitors cases involving animal abuse). I am hoping to start something up like the DAWG project here so all of my fellow "retired" attorneys and judges, watch out. I'll draft you yet.
So, here's a short list of my Vegas Trip:
Best Breakfast - the Omelet House at the Plaza Hotel, Downtown. I got major tummy rumblings on Day 1 from pigging out on eggs benedict at the Main Street Station and vowed to stay away from Hollandaise Sauce for the next week. However, the Omelet House had a veggie benedict with fresh spinach and mushrooms and H-bomb sauce. It was delicious and the tummy kept it down all day long. Had to give in to the dark side and have a pancake too. Yes, I know you cannot use your Aloha Coupon but it really delicious. Super clean and very attentive and friendly staff.
Best Lunch - Vegetarian plate at Gaylord's at the Rio Hotel. This is a well-known Indian restaurant from San Francisco. I was trying to line up an appointment to get a tattoo at the Vince Neil Ink (yes, the Motley Crew blonde guy) by Sado, a tattoo artist from Hawaii, was with a client. Rather than run the marathon down to the Conference for a vegan lunch, I went to Gaylord's for lunch. Wow - three different vegetarian main dishes, basmati rice with saffron and four huge pieces of naan! Their sweet lassi was perfect - not too overwhelming and very refreshing. I was so tempted to box up the leftovers and carry it with me but I had another 5 hours or so of Conference to go. I wish I had gone to the Sunday brunch instead of the Rio Buffet. Maybe next time.
Best Dinner - BBQ Nachos from the Rub at the Rio. I know I will go to hell for eating swine after attending a No-Kill conference but I just couldn't resist. I keep seeing BBQ Nachos on Food Network so here it was in front of me. It must have weight about 5 pounds. You know you are in for a great meal when you have a 10 minute conversation with the hostess about funky reading glasses and where you should NOT get a tattoo. The Nachos had BBQ beans instead of refried, BBQ pulled pork instead of ground beef and BBQ sauce instead of salsa. It was even good totally ice cold when I was eating it at midnight while watching Anderson Cooper 360 reruns
Celebrity Sightings - Christopher Kale Jones from Hawaii after Jersey Boys (LN and I made major "big body" and got his autograph and took photos with him), the actor who played Vince in Jersey Boys who everyone IGNORED when we were swarming Chris Jones, Dr. Dan from Dogtown (very cute even when talking about the unique scent of a parvo infested BM),most of the trainers from Dogtown, Penn (very, very, very tall but very, very, very nice), Teller (who spoke and warned me not to let the Professor to go into magic but suggested a "normal" path). and the few dogs that were in the Popovich Pet Circus.
Big Bummer - I have been waiting for over a year to go to the Pet Circus and was bummed that the show featured a whole lot of humans and cats but was very light on dogs. Well, at least they were rescued dogs and not puppy mill dogs.
Big Bummer #2 - not being old enough to receive the Senior Discount at the Premium Outlet Mall.
My Dream Come True - Mahalo to AK and CS who took me to the mecca for all crafters, Michaels. Imagine going to crafter heaven and located right next to that is Pet Smart. You had to pinch me since I was up in the clouds. Bought lots of doggy t-shirts (for humans), snacks for Rayray and Tata and Hanukah stuff for the Jewpanese folks.
Most Embarassing Moment - Screwing up the steps to Pokemon Ondo big time and having it caught on tape. It didn't help that I had a Tourette's Moment whenever I mde a mistake or that I was in the front and everyone was copying me. Good thing most of the audience was already drunk.
Already looking forward to next year, even though it is supposedly the last Mini Reunion.
No comments:
Post a Comment