Sunday, August 9, 2009

Volunteers needed at the Oahu SPCA

THE OAHU SPCA NEEDS VOLUNTEERS EVERYDAY BUT ARE ESPECIALLY SHORT TODAY (SUNDAY). IF YOU CAN HELP, THEY ASKED THAT YOU JUST COME DOWN TO THE SHELTER. THEY ARE OPEN FROM 8 UNTIL 6. HELP IS MOST NEEDED FROM 4-6 WHEN THE ANIMALS ARE FED AND WATERED AND CAGES ARE CLEANED.

TAKE THE H-1 TO THE KAPOLEI EXIT THEN GO STRAIGHT TO KALAELOA. AT THE END OF THE ROAD, GO LEFT AT THE FOUR WAY EXIT. THE SHELTER IS IN A WAREHOUSE ON THE RIGHT SIDE (LOOK FOR THE ONE WITH LOTS OF CARS AND A CHAIN LINK FENCE IN THE FRONT).

VISIT THEIR WEBSITE AT WWW.OAHUSPCA.ORG.

I drove over again yesterday (Saturday) at the Oahu SPCA. I dropped off the towels and blankets I had washed (which unfortunatedly resulted in both my washer and dryer biting the dust) as well as the ones that my friend AS had donated. I hadn't planned to stay and help since the kids were all home with Oscar but they were very short-handed with volunteers (there were only 2 of us there). Thankfully, people started trickling in as the day went on and by the time we helped close up the place (I got there at 4:30 and left at 6:30), there was a good crowd of us there.

Bully Boy was moved into a bigger area and has a pen mate, an adorably friendly brown pit bull mix Girly Girl. I can't remember her name but she was very sweet and would do wonderful in anyone's home. The staff said they were trying to change Bully Boy from an "only dog" to a "pack dog" by having him live with other dogs so we would have to wait a while if we wanted to foster him. They said he was doing well since the Girly was an alpha female. He didn't seem to bother with her much but she was clearly as much in love with him as I was.

There were some new dogs and I was told that there was a litter of puppies since one of the dogs has given birth. Didn't get to see the puppies. I kind of didn't want to since I knew I would want to take them all home which would result in my kids becoming motherless pups themselves.

My heart ached for Grandpa Captain Jack who is so beautiful but because of his age and ailments, will probably never find a home. He also is incredibly shy.

There was a new fluffy dog who anyone would love except he is hearing impaired.

Lovely sweet Teddy Bear greeted me with her usual kiss and would not leave my side when I fed her.

One of the dogs I was too scared to deal with was Walker, a huge pit-mastiff male. His pen was surrounded by wooden planks to block his view of the other dogs. He was on my list so I went inside. Immediately, he came to my side and nuzzled me very gently. When I bent down to pick up his food dish, he started kissing my ear and stuck to me like glue. Very very gentle and very loving. I learned that the wood was needed because he is so strong, he would push against the chain link and move the whole kennel whenever he saw a person walk by. He so desperately wanted to have human contact. The kids liked him too since he looked like a larger version of Tiger.

I have a feeling that Walker was used in dog fighting since he is covered with scars. I think with his gentle demeanor, he must not have been very effective as a warrior and was dumped. He is another great dog.

We want to foster a dog to be Tiger's playmate outside. What they do is have you bring your dogs to the shelter and introduce them to the foster dog you are interested in. If the dogs get along, they will let you foster that dog. If not, they will find another dog that fits in your pack. All dogs are considered fosters for seven weeks and then you can apply to adopt them.

I am not worried about Rayni since she will just ignore the foster dog but who knows about Tiger. Rayni is Queen Alpha and Tiger is Wannabe Alpha. Hopefully, we will have a successful Three Dog Night soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment