Sunday, May 2, 2010

Life Isn't Fair

Okay, I know this is beating a dead horse but I am still mad that Tyra Sanchez (the other Tyra who is pictured in the top photo) won RuPaul's Drag Race #2 last week. I still cannot figure out how she beat out Raven (second place in photo in the middle) or Jujube (third place in photo at the bottom). I have to agree with all the bloggers who say that the drag queen who looks the most like RuPaul will always win.

Tyra was the epitome of the evil beauty queen. She complained about everything and insulted and criticized the other girls, even the ones on her own team. When the girls had to work on a group assignment, she refused to make any effort to help or even participate. She just lay on the couch and whined about how unfair it was that she was stuck on such an awful team. You just wanted to whip her with one of her false eyelashes.

Maybe it is me but I never felt that I was looking at a woman when I saw Tyra. She was called out on several occasions by the judges for not altering her voice when she became Tyra. Even when it was part of the assignment, she refused to even try to change things up. While she kind of looked like Tyra, she always spoke like a Tyrone so it was difficult to be drawn into her world. On the oher hand, she was probably more obsessed with Tyra than the real Tyra so that may be the one positive things.

I think Raven should have won because her transformation was totally believable. The ultimate compliment paid to her was by Terri Nunn who said that she wished Raven was straight because she would like to uh, do the nasty with her. I have to agree. If you see Raven the guy, he is totally sexy and looks like a man's man but Raven the girl is totally a gorgeous woman. With the python arms, you'd think her drag would make her look like one of those steroid-laden lady bodybuilders but she never looked masculine at all. Yes, she did have her bitchy moments but they were all directed at Tyra so I forgive her.

I LOVE Jujube but I did not think that she deserved to win. She did not have the talent that Raven had to transform herself into different women every week. Jujube was always Jujube - cute, quirky, the Asian Gidget. If you watch those Filipino talent shows on Channel 9, there will always be a bunch of girls who look exactly like Jujube but with more moles and not quite as pretty. While I would love to be Raven the girl and have a fling with Raven the guy (if he changed teams), I would also like to have a son like Jujube which uh, may be happening since the Mad Cow was running up and down my parents' driveway last night in my heels singing, "This groove is for my girls, all my Ladyboys and girls..."

I'm sure the show will be rerun to death and those of you who are LOGO-phobic, can catch the show on VH1. Watch the entire season and you'll be hooked. However, you'll be P.O.'ed when Tyra wins. We were watching the finale and I couldn't stand the wait so the Professor looked up the results for me. When he said Tyra won, I switched the channel. I was so upset.
I wasn't thrilled when Bebe won in Season 1 because I felt that Nina Flowers did a much better job at everything. But then, being a straight woman, perhaps I do not know what components (aside from a good tuck) make one drag queen better than another one. Going from a purely Project Runway viewpoint, it would seem that the woman with the best wardrobe and most diverse wardrobe should win. However, on Drag Race, often the winner would be the person with the worst outfit - one that consisted of ready-made separates thrown together vs. a handmade, original new design. Same as the with the make-up and the hair.
Oh well, maybe it will be like American Idol where the universe rewards the runner-up with a bigger careeer and great success? If the universe loves Adam Lambert, surely Raven and Jujube will fly too!

Oh well, look at the photos and judge for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment