Saturday, July 4, 2009

Evil Is as Evil Does

Why are there so many evil people in the world? Why did most of them have some kind of tie to Michael Jackson?

I am still in the midst of MJJ mourning. Had a big sob session last night when they did a montage of videos on CNN to "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough". The clips all focused on Michael the entertainer, when he still looked like a human being who had lots of plastic surgery and not a freak (kind of like how the Real Housewives of New Jersey look compared to that strange rich Cat Lady in New York). It was a honestly felt tribute, you just knew it was done by someone who was a fan.

It is so tragic that even in death, Michael cannot escape the evil that is Joe Jackson. I was watching the red carpet for the BET Awards and here was Papa Joe hyping his new record label. His response to every question about Michael's death was to talk about his new record label and the artists he had signed. Not a single tear was shed. I mean, you think he would at least be able to muster up a tear thinking of the lost income resulting from Michael's death but nada. Maybe he figured that he can release a bunch of post-mortem CDS like the estates of Elvis and Tupac did. Don't you dread knowing that the Neverland Ranch will turn into Graceland West? I can just see it now (uh, but I will still make a pilgrimage there if and when it opens).

It was also gross to see Lou Ferrigno on television. Apparently, the Hulk was Michael's personal trainer for a while. He initially seemed very concerned but at the end of the interview, Lou had to mention how he would like to honor Michael by appearing on the TV show, Dancing with the Stars. Oh yes, I am sure that Michael Jackson hoped and prayed that people would honor him by signing up for a cheezy reality show and doing the rhumba in his memory.

I used to believe that all people are inherently good but the older I get, the more cynical I get. I now think the opposite - that all people are inherently evil and must battle with those demons to walk the right path of life. I also think most people are inherently lazy but that's another rant. The majority of people I know have triumphed over this and are good, solid people (who can be evil when it's fun to be evil). Unfortunately, I have come face to face with truly dark Harry Potter dementor-ish monsters.

The one true thing about this is that from the moment you are in the presence of evil, your inner Oprah tells you "GET THE F**K AWAY!!!" You should listen to this but most of us are in situations where we cannot. Maybe the person works with us, is a new acquaintance or a friend of a friend, or worst of all, is a relative. We try to rationalize why we should like or at least tolerate them so we won't be "bad" ourselves but what we really should be doing is dragging them to a large cave and closing it with a 10 ton boulder so they can never see the light of day again.

Looking back, I have felt that something was not quite right with every evildoer that I have crossed paths with from the moment I met them. Yet being the mindless dutiful Japanese daughter that I am, I pushed it aside. I mean, nice people give others the benefit of the doubt, right? Don't just a book by its cover, right? But when the title of the book is "I am Jeffrey Dahmer incarnate", maybe you should put it down and run.

These people can look you in the face and lie through their teeth. Even when you call them on it, they never fess up but just dig up another lie from their bag of darkness. They seem to get away with everything, even the most aggregious wrongdoing. They are slippery like snakes and have no sense of righteousness at all. It's kind of ironic that those Evil Beings that I have personally dealt with are always the ones who claim they are church-going, God-fearing people. It is like they feel that it is their divine right to rip people off, that they deserve every bit of their ill-gotten emotional or financial gain.

What is really scary is how these evil people take advantage of those who are most defenseless. They are like those cheetahs to stalk a herd of antelopes - why expend energy and effort to take down a healthy strong young antelope when you can whack a weak elder or chow down on a helpless baby?

It is those who need protection who are often victimized. We all have stories about a senior citizen who was left financially destitute by a person he or she considered "like a child". After all, didn't the Evil One express its love and devotion on a daily basis? Little did this innocent elder realize that with each warn embrace, the Evil One was reaching deep into his wallet or her purse for wads of cash. What hurts more than the economic downfall is the sense of betrayal and the loss of "face" - the realization that someone they trusted and loved (who they thought loved them back) was just in it for the benjis.

We all know someone who was wooed by Mr. or Ms. Totally Wrong when they were totally emotionally vulnerable. I'm sure everyone has a male friend who was cleaned out by a "bar girl with a heart of gold" after a nasty divorce. As soon as you hear those words, "Oh, I met her at Club [fill in the $20 glass of water bar on Keeaumoku of your choice]" you knew that it was going to end badly. Someone was going to walk away with a financial windfall and it wasn't the person with testosterone. No matter how often you told him that you saw the girl at Louis Vuitton with another middle-aged sucker with a black American Express, he would not believe you. But we all know how this ends - when the cash it tapped out, that compassionate and kind woman makes a hasty exit in the new Mercedes convertible that dummy frend of yours is still making monthly payments on.

Once I went to temple and the Priest was talking to me about a guy who came in to see him. The guy was insanely in love with a bar girl and as the story always goes, was turning over his entire paycheck to her yet she wouldn't make a commitment to him. He bought her designer bags, diamonds, paid her rent but she wouldn't accept his proposal of marriage. My Priest told him that it was clear the bar girl was just a glorified hooker - exchanging S*x for money. Then the guy explained that they hadn't even done anything yet. To this, my Priest said, "Boy, you are REALLY STUPID! You are giving her money and not even getting anything? At least you should get something."

On the flip side, we all have a female friend who was emotionally ripped off by a player or a "unhappily" married guy claiming he is separated. As soon as you hear those words, "Oh, I met him on the internet", you knew that this sutuation was also going to end badly. Anytime intimacy between two people involves a keyboard and a web cam, you are asking for trouble. Who doesn't have a vulnerable friend who packed everything up to move in with Mr. Wonderful only to discover that Mr. Evil One was still married, not working, on drugs or alcohol, actually gay, or any other bizarro characteristic featured in a Jerry Springer episode. What is truly sad about this is that for some reason, the sweeter the woman, the evil-er the dude.

So, how do you tell who is truly evil? Someone told me once that it is all in the smile. Most people look their best when they are smiling but evil people do not. They cannot smile and look natural or happy. Something is always a little off. They look fake or they look like they are scowling. When I first heard this, I thought it was nonsense but now I believe it it true. Try it yourself. Look at photos of the people who have screwed you over. I bet you will see that their "smiling faces" are not beautiful.

I know I am not supposed to send bad vibes into the universe but I do believe that karma is a b***h. I cannot help but hope that there is some divine payback that will befall these evil-doers, especially those who seem to get away with everything.

Bachi rules the world, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment