Friday, July 10, 2009

Stick to the Dead Cow at Buffalo Boy's Hoagies

We went to Buffalo Boy's Hoagies today for lunch. It is the new sandwich place on Waialae (near Kokua Foods with the MJ mural). I've wanted to go since I worked at my old job but never had the chance. Mad Cow and the Diva were sick ofho me feeding them at 7-11 or the school snack bar (they got a reprieve yesterday when we had to go to Jack in the Box to get UH Jack antenna balls for Aunty LN) so we thought we'd try something new.

Parking is on the side in case you are wondering.

If you have a fetish for polynesian guys with lots of tattoos who look like their day job is "lifting" in preparation for the night job as MMA fighters, this is the perfect place for you. There were two skinny haole guys who were scrunched into a table at the front of the place, right in the window - just in case some race riot broke out. The strange thing is that the other customers besides the brown burly boys were middle-aged Japanese ladies - yes, including yours truly. It was like a Facebook meetup gone really wrong.

The twins had 12 inch steak hoagies and the Mad Cow had a chicken finger sandwich. The Diva ate the entire hoagie and the Professor ate only half. Amazingly, nobody had special sauce drippings on their clothing as they usually do. The Mad Cow ate the chicken out of the sandwich and left everything else, prompting his daily lecture from the veterans about why he should eat his vegetables.

They also ate two large orders of fries and an order of onion rings. They said these were the best fries and onion rings they have ever eaten. I was amazed that they even agreed to share some with some of the veterans' wives who were around at lunch time.

I had a vegetable hoagie which was the steak hoagie without meat. Next time, I will just order the steak hoagie and take the meat out since it actually ended up costing about $3 more for the veggie sandwich. They charge you the same price as the regular steak hoagie then an extra $3 for the additional veggies (mushroom, onion, green peppers which I nixed, tomato, lettuce). So the $9 loaded with steak sandwhich was a $12 vegetable sandwich. Next time, forget eating for good karma. I'll either put up with the dead cow or just buy two orders of onion rings. Yes, my fellow veggies, definitely SKIP this sandwich but go for the sides.

I would attach photos but all that is left is the Mad Cow's bread and veggies.

The cost for our lunch was (gasp and hope that Oscar isn't reading this) $57 for 2 steak hoagies, 1 chicken finger sandwhich combo, two orders of fries, one order of onion rings and three bottled drinks. Hmm, could have lunched at the Pineapple Room for that or bought lots of UH antenna balls at Jack's Place....

No comments:

Post a Comment